California Farm Water Success Stories: Volumetric Pricing and Conjunctive Use
Published: December 8, 2011
Authors: Juliet Christian-Smith, Chris Kaphiem
The Alta Irrigation Distrct has implemented a variety of programs, including volumetric water pricing, active groundwater recharge and conjunctive use, and a focus on agricultural water use efficiency. The case study Volumetric Pricing and Conjunctive Use, part of the California Farm Water Success Stories series, explores how Alta Irrigation District has successfully implemented these programs with widespread support.
Chris Kapheim, General Manager of the Alta Irrigation District
Chris Kapheim, general manager of Alta Irrigation District, describes the district’s pricing and conjunctive use policies.
In addition to these success stories, the Pacific Institute and other members of the California Roundtable on Water and Food Supply have launched an Interactive Database and Map which contains more than 30 case studies, including the Pacific Institute’s success stories, and is searchable by location, production type, irrigation method, and stewardship practice.
Read the California Roundtable on Water and Food Supply press release.
MORE SUCCESS STORIES:
– Sustainable Water Management for Urban Agriculture
– Integrated Regional Water Management: Kings Basin
– Vegetated Waterways and Riparian Restoration
– Industry-Driven Standards for Water Efficiency
– Managing for Multiple Benefits
– Smart Irrigation Scheduling
– Groundwater Banking
– Improved Communication, Monitoring, and Measurement
– Recycled Water and Agriculture
– State and Federal Funding Accelerates Efficiency